Via NextBigFuture: The top ten breakthrough technologies for 2017 according to MIT Technology Review:
- Reversing Paralysis (in 10 to 15 years)
- Self-Driving Trucks (in 5 to 10 years)
- Paying with Your Face (available now)
- Practical Quantum Computing (in 4-5 years)
- The 360-Degree Selfie (available now)
- Hot Solar Cells (in 10 to 15 years)
- Gene Therapy 2.0 (available now)
- The Cell Atlas (in 5 years)
- Botnets of Things (available now)
- Reinforcement Learning (in 1 to 2 years)
NextBigFuture describes each item, and links to each individual article in MIT Technology Review, whose main article is here.
I’d rather that things like reversing paralysis were available now, with the 360-degree selfie being 10 to 15 years away. Perhaps the progress on items 4, 7, 8 and 10 can accelerate this timetable.